Year 4: Pandas Class
A Message from the Class Teacher
Welcome to year 4! This year we will be working very hard on a range of different topics, as well as learning to work as part of a team, learning about growth mindset and becoming more independent learners.
In English we will spend the year looking at a range of books and carrying out a wide range of reading and writing activities based around them. We will also be developing our reading and writing skills through a range of both short films and longer chapter books. Spelling is a big focus this year, so we will be looking at mnemonics, tricks and tips to help us improve our knowledge of how words are written. Children will have the opportunity to enter Spelling Shed competitions to support this. Furthermore, we will be improving our reading skills to work on our comprehension of texts on a variety of topics.
In Maths we will be focusing on a range of key skills; developing written methods, increasing speed, increasing our knowledge of shapes, measures and data. Whenever possible we link Maths to real life situations. We will also be practising our times tables every day to help us gain confidence and speed.
Click on the link below to see what else we will be getting up to, by looking at our our curriculum map. We are on cycle B.
PE is on Monday, though it is useful to keep PE kits in school from Monday –Friday in case we have any special sessions. Swimming will be on a Thusrday afternoon, starting in term 5.
We are also very fortunate this year to be learning how to play a variety of brass instruments. Look out for the date of our next concert.
Homework usually goes home on a Friday, and should be handed in the following Wednesday afternoon. There is a homework club run three times a week at lunch time. All children are welcome to attend any of the sessions that they wish to. No need to book, just turn up.
How can parents help?
- Reading at home. Please remember to sign your child’s record so that they can be awarded stamps towards our new school reading rewards prizes. Please note, it is fine to sign the reading record books whenever your child reads something, not just their scheme books. Enjoying reading is just as important as building up a range of skills!
- Looking at everyday measurements and prices when out shopping or cooking at home.
- Making predictions about and discussing any TV programs that you may watch together.This really helps build an understanding of the world, as well as helping with comprehension and creative writing skills.
- Time. Telling the time using both (including with Roman numerals) analogue and digital clocks.
- Times Tables. Support with learning the facts in preparation for the times table check at the end of the year.
Thank you for your support.
What exciting things have we been up to during terms 1 & 2?
We are currently enjoying our topic on Ancient Egypt,which with archaeology to discover a range of Egyptian aretefacts hidden in plaster blocks and textured art for a desert. As the topic progresses, we will find out more about both the country and the people.
In English we are enjoying the Twits by Roald Dahl, which is helping us develop a wide range of vocabulary and writing skills.
Science has seen us learn lots of scientific vocabulary for digestion and we suspect that things may get messy at some point soon too. The models of teeth which we made are amazing!
On Friday mornings we are really fortunate to be receiving brass instrument lessons from both Miss Raby and a specialist teacher. Look out for details of our Christmas concert once we’ve had time to practise..