Year 5 - 2019 - 2020 : Tigers Class
Welcome back to school and a fantastic year in The Tigers.
This year we will be working harder than ever on our Reading , Writing and Maths alongside a range of fabulous learning opportunities in the wider curriculum.
We begin the year studying World War 2 and will be looking at what it might have been like to live in England during the time, as well as some of the reasons for the conflict. We will be reading novels set around the war, which will give the children plenty of ideas for their writing and background information on the period.
Our class books are Letters from the Lighthouse by Emma Carroll and Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian.
In Geography we'll be using an atlas as well as computer software to learn more about Europe and the world's countries and we hope to visit Dover Castle later this year and find out more about the castle's role during World War 2.
In Science we are studying Materials and their Properties before going on to learn all about Forces.
For further information about the curriculum this year please click on the link below (we are on Cycle A):
Year 5/6 Curriculum
What Can I do to help at home?
- Reading at home. Please remember to sign your child’s record so that they can be awarded stamps towards our new school reading rewards prizes. Please note, it is fine to sign the reading record books whenever your child reads something, not just their scheme books. Enjoying reading is just as important as building up a range of skills!
- Looking at everyday measurements and prices when out shopping or cooking at home.
- Help with homework - parental help is always welcome and the more you can talk about your child's learning the better.
- Making predictions about and discussing any TV programs that you may watch together.This really helps build an understanding of the world, as well as helping with comprehension and creative writing skills.
- Time - Telling the time using both (including with Roman numerals) analogue and digital clocks.
- Times Tables are so important! Any help with these over the year would be invaluable.
Thank you for your support,
Mrs McCarthy and Mr Brundle