Year 2 : Foxes Class
A Message from the Class Teacher
Welcome to Fox Class! We are a Year 2 class who enjoy learning new things, whether it be through delving onto our latest literacy book, using our maths skills to solve the latest problem solving challenge or learning through history, geography and the creative curriculum in our exciting topic work! We hope you enjoy having a look around our website!
What will we be learning this year?
Have a look below to see what we will be up to this term!
- The Adventures of the Dish and the Spoon - Mini Grey
- The Leaf Men - William Joyce
We will be sharing and enjoying stories, writing instructions, poems and recounts, describing characters and settings and role playing. We study each book for a few weeks using the book to cover as many forms of writing as possible. Through that work we will look at things like adjectives/nouns/verbs, finger spaces, cursive handwriting, direct speech, conjunctions, exclamations and questions, punctuation, developing vocabulary and phonics/spelling.
- Finding 10 more and less
- Addition and subtraction to solve problems
- Partitioning numbers into hundreds, tens and units and the associated place value
- Comparing numbers using more/less and using , > and = signs
- Using inverse to check answers to problems
- Using coins to make values
- Estimate and measure using CM and M
Topic - Toys
- Science - Use of Everyday Materials - What are the names of these common materials? What are there properties? Why are they well-suited to their jobs for certain objects?
- Geography - Local area, name and locate the four countries and capital cities ot the UK and surrounding seas.
- History - Important events beyond living memory (Toys and significant events/people).
- RE - Christianity (Parables) - The Good Samaritan, The Lost Sheep, The Lost Coin, The Great Feast, The Talents and The Two Builders. Where do Christians believe these stories come from? What message do they take from these parables?
- DT - Construction.
- DT - Food - Tasting, breading, tearing, flouring, squashing, mashing.
- Art - Collage, including using natural materials.
- PE - Throwing and catching and then moving onto choreographing and performing dances.
- Music - Singing/performing - join in with songs. Sing loudly or quietly, fast or slow.
These are just some of the things we will touch upon on this topic!
What you can do to help at home?
Reading is the MOST important thing you can do with your child. We would encourage at least 3 reading sessions with an adult at home per week if possible! It has a HUGE impact on their progress in school!
We will also send home spellings termly for your child to learn at their own pace with you. Try to make this fun by playing games, singing songs, making up rhymes or silly stories and generally having fun with it! If you need any suggestions on games, please speak to Miss Fitton.
Lastly, we will send home homework once a week. Homework will be fairly low-key this year as it is their first year of having homework properly and we are trying to ease them into Key Stage 2. If you have any worries about homework, please have a chat with Miss Fitton or Miss Collins who manages the homework tasks.